We are at a very exciting stage in our journey, approaching our 10th birthday and with a unique set of capabilities and a prestigious client roster, which includes Nestlé, William Grant & Sons, SC Johnson, Branston Pickle, Ocean Spray and many more household names.
In 2019, we revised our business strategy and this is working well, alongside building some very exciting case studies in our sector.
Activation has weathered the worst of the Covid impact in 2020 and now our eyes are firmly set back on our growth plan.
There are two parts to this role, both focused on business development. New Business, where we are taking our story out to prospective clients, and building a pipeline of opportunities (some exciting opportunities already exist) and also existing client development, making the most of our roster of clients and building plans to grow and widen our existing relationships.
With New Business, you’ll help to identify and convert new business opportunities on both new and existing business. This not a sales role – you won’t be hammering the phones – this a senior strategic business development role. We have an established new business plan and pipeline, and have many of the necessary resources in place, so this is by no means ‘start from scratch’ but with your expertise and leadership we should be unstoppable.
The primary aspect of this role is responsible for creating the new business strategy to develop a robust new business pipeline to hit our new business targets and growth plans.
- Lead Business Development in the process to find and win new business for the agency, focused on leading FMCG brands
- Working with the Managing Director, co-creating the agency’s new business strategy and commercials/KPI’s
- Representing the agency as the first point of contact for prospective clients; understanding their needs and objectives, identifying opportunities and presenting our case studies and capabilities.
- Maintaining a structured ongoing relationship with each prospect to secure new business opportunities over time
- Leading the pitch process, and managing and completing detailed prospective Requests for Information (RFIs) etc.
- Managing the agency new business development process, including the existing lead development/prospecting process
- Marketing – developing outbound marketing activities and a marketing calendar, with campaigns and content/case studies.
With existing client development we have a number of large accounts that offer development potential and also a number of accounts that work on a project-by-project basis, where continued relationship building is key to future engagements.
- Identify account growth opportunities within existing clients and opportunities to introduce Activation’s services where appropriate.
- Build relationships with our more ‘project based’ clients to also understand future requirements and plans and opportunities to introduce Activation’s services where appropriate.
- Support in the on-boarding of new clients from commercial development through to campaign execution.
Wider aspects to the role
Using your expertise and experience in digital/shopper/sales promotion strategy, you will also be involved with the wider agency work –
- Support with digital/shopper/sales promotion strategy for all key accounts.
- Support with ideas and creative development
- Pitching and presenting
Ideally, you’ll come from a marketing agency background and have the following skills –
Essential – FMCG sector experience
Essential – Business development experience
Essential – Client relationship management
Desirable – Digital marketing, shopper marketing, sales promotion experience
Desirable – Formal strategic business development/sales training
Location – Bristol based
Our offices are based on Bristol’s vibrant harbourside, but at the moment we are working remotely and this role will be open to remote candidates. However, when appropriate, some travel to Bristol will be required, at least 2 days per week depending on the requirements of the business. We’re looking for the right person, and you may not already be in Bristol!
The long term view and benefits
We’ve been going and growing for almost 10 years and have a fantastic, committed and hugely talented team. We are now planning the next stage of our journey and the exciting opportunities this brings.
This is a senior role, and we will offer a very competitive salary which is dependent on the experience of the person coming into the business. We also offer additional performance related bonus. As an independent agency, the longer term possibilities for this role and the right person are uncapped. If you are looking for something interesting, with a long term view, this role could be for you.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
How to apply.
Please send a covering email and current CV to email@example.com, with the subject line ‘Business Development Director’
Closing date for applications Friday 26 February.
No agencies please. This role has been briefed to a partner agency and we will not be working with any other recruitment agencies.